Monday, September 19, 2016

Sanctuary and Minimalism?

I've been asked about minimalization and animals. How to feel less overwhelmed with all that comes along with our fur and feather animal family. With over 20 living beings INSIDE our home, and several outside, I have some thoughts about this.

First, let me talk about minimalism. If it wasn't for minimalization of things like friend clutter, effort made, cleaning routines and my 1 in 1+ out rule, I would surely not be able to do all I can for animals and still run a well-maintained home and family life.

So... for me, it's all about my planner. I use my daily, monthly and yearly planner to keep up with all that needs to be done (animal-wise and pretty much every other detail of my life as well).

Nail trips are scheduled 2x/mth. Ears are weekly at a minimum. Haircuts for one dog is seasonal. Cage/home cleaning is scheduled as well. You name it, I write it down. I try to space things out so everyone gets attention daily. That way I can keep on top of any issues that may arise. You wouldn't want something to get out of control when you aren't looking.

Another tip is natural-care. We use diatomaceous earth for flea prevention and also in barns for bugs and moisture prevention. Prevention is much better than the alternative.

Clutter. I keep items grouped together. Extra food bags are kept in one bin and with all the food containers, in a closet in our basement. Along with grooming items. Toys are kept to a minimum, including dog bones which are mostly very cool, cruetly-free pressed wood and some nylabones,  and all in one bin in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment